So, as all of you already know, the apartment search is on for Carlo and I in finding our dwelling in Downtown Milan. I tried my hardest to do as much homework as possible before our departure from California (I know, shocking!), but it turns out, if you don't know where to look it's impossible. Apparently, the Italians do not know how to input their websites into search engines to make it more accessible to people like me.
The other night when we met Federico and others down in Milan, I thoughtfully grabbed two of the apartment listing magazines that are all over Milano, and to my surprise, it had website after website to look for available apartments!
The new problem that quickly became very apparent was that all the websites are in Italian (big surprise) with no alternate language button to translate. This did not keep me from cracking the code- I have discovered google translate in my new favorite website. Cut from one site, paste it there, and volla- I can suddenly read Italian! There is one difference though in being able to read the words and being able to decode what they mean. Number of rooms for instance, does not really tell you how many bedrooms, but how many different rooms there are total (living room, kitchen, bedroom, bathroom = 4 rooms).
Once we had narrowed our search down to a handful of Metro stops, we starting combing the listings for properties that were within our price point, and fit a couple of quick basic criteria. Now comes the fun part of actually going down and looking at the different properties we have picked to see if any of them are The One! Planning on doing that Monday, so hopefully we find one we like! Keep you all posted and we'll play International House Hunters once we narrow it down to 3 to see if you guess correctly!
No comments:
Post a Comment